Frank O’Rourke TD has called on the Minister for Education to press ahead with the provision of the school campus for Celbridge
“Three schools, Celbridge Community School, St Patricks National School, and St Raphael’s Special School are set to be co-located and we need to press ahead with the project without delay. All schools need a permanent location and having them on the same site as part of an educational campus make sense. We have a growing population and need to ensure that our educational facilities are fit for purpose given this growth.”
“I have made repeated representations and put down a parliamentary question to the Minister for Education in relation to this issue. I received a commitment that it is a priority for the Department of Education to progress this project. I will keep the pressure on the Department and the Minster to ensure that we make progress for these schools.”
James Lawless TD raised the chronic shortage of places for children at Scoil Dara in the Dail tonight
James said, “Tonight in the Dail chamber I raised Scoil Dara, Kilcock and the chronic shortage of places for children applying in September 2020. While a school extension is in planning it needs to be massively fast-tracked and additional accommodation – prefabs – need to placed onside ahead of the new school year.”
” Additionally the patronage of the new school at Enfield must be assigned so that a principal can be appointed and that school can then begin to host some of the pupils in that area. The Minister committed to both above actions and I will continue to work with school management, parents groups and the department to keep the pressure on this.”
“This is an issue I have been closely working with Cllr Paul Ward on”
Frank O’Rourke TD spoke on the unacceptable waiting times for children with special needs requirements in getting an appointment for an Assessment of Needs with the HSE.
Waiting times average 2 years and the delay in any diagnosis has a knock on effect at a critical stage in a child’s development, causing further delays in accessing essential services and supports, such as Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, and Speech and Language Therapy.
James joined school secretaries on the picket line in Sallins today
James said, “I was delighted to join local School Secretaries in Sallins this morning and offer support to them in their strike for proper pay and conditions. 90% of school secretaries do not have the same safeguards in place as the other 10% who are employed directly by the Department. They are at a great disadvantage in terms of sick pay, certainty of hours or pay increases. Many have to sign on for social welfare payments during the summer months as there is no holiday pay.”
“School secretaries are vital to schools and they have to be treated with the respect they deserve. The Workplace Relations Commission has mandated that talks would take place between the Government and the Unions. It is not good enough that the Government has not engaged in this process.”
Frank O’Rourke TD and Cllr Michael Coleman have welcomed the construction of a Bus Shelter at St. Wolstans School in Celbridge
Frank commented, “I’m delighted to see the Bus Shelter installed on the Clane road beside St. Wolstans school. This was an issue that myself and Cllr Michael Coleman has been working on for some time at the request of all those that use public and school transport. This Bus Shelter will now give an improved standard for all those people waiting to get the Bus at this location.”
“I will continue to make representations for further Bus Shelters to be installed at the appropriate locations in North Kildare. I want to thank the NTA and Kildare Co Council for their assistance in delivering this Shelter.”